Title/Qualifications: Associate Professor
Books and Book Chapters
- Maina, Lucy and Kimani, E. (2019) Gendered Patterns of Unpaid Care and Domestic Work in the Urban Informal Settlements of Nairobi, Kenya: Findings from a Household Care Survey 2019. Hewlett Foundation. Oxfam WE-CARE Project/Resources. https://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/gendered-patterns-of-unpaid-care-and-domestic-work-in-the-urban-informal-settle-620910
- Waswa, F. Maina, L, Netodo. (2011) Commercial Sugarcane Farming in the Lake Victoria Basin: A Quandary of Opportunities. Fountain Publishers. ISBN: 978-9970-25-091-2.
- Mugenda, O., Kimani, E., Maina, L., Wainaina, M. (2010) A Survey of Female Representation in Higher Education in Kenya: Identifying Opportunities for Policy and Action. Published by Longhorn Kenya.
- Maina, L. and Wainaina, M. (2009) MediansystemenKenias in the International Media Handbook. Published in Hamburg, Germany.
In Refereed Journals
- • Maina, L. and Kimani, E. (2020) Determinants of Income Security among Pensionable Retired Persons In Kenya. ChemChemi International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Volume 11, number 1. Open access- Available at https://doi.org/10.33886/cijhs.v11i1.
- Maina, Lucy and Kimani, E. (2019) Gendered Patterns of Unpaid Care and Domestic Work in the Urban Informal Settlements of Nairobi, Kenya: Findings from a Household Care Survey 2019. Hewlett Foundation. Oxfam WE-CARE Project.
- Wanjau, M., Kathuri, L. and Maina, L. (2019) ABC Strategy: How University Students Perception of Abc Strategy Influences Uptake Of Reproductive Health Programs. Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Public Health, Vol. 4, 2018, pp. 11-22- TIIKM -ISSN 2424 – 6735 online DOI: https://doi.org/10.17501/24246735.2018.410.
- Maina, Lucy and Mwangi, Samuel (2017) Experiences of Retirees under Pension Scheme Coverage in Kenya: The Case for Pension Reforms. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IOSR-JHSS). Volume 23, Issue 1, Ver. 8.
- Mitchell, C., Chege, F. Maina, L., & Rothman, M. (2016). Beyond engagement: Policy dialogue in working with children in eight Nairobi slums to address safety, security and housing. In International Global Public Health Journal. Taylor and Francis online. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2016.1165720.
- Maina, L, Kigaru, D., Korir, A. and Akello, A., (2016) Determinants of Screening Patterns for Invasive Cervical Cancer among Patients Attending Kenyatta National Hospital, Kenya. Research Journali of Public Health, Vol 2 Number 11. November 2016.
- Pauline Thuku, Lucy Maina and Margaret Gecaga. (2016). The Relationship between Psychosocial Preparation for Retirement and Quality of Life of Retirees in Kenya. International Journal of Social Science and Humanities Research ISSN 2348-3164. Vol. 4, Issue 3, pp: (251-260), Month: July - September 2016, Available at: www.researchpublish.com.
- Brian Mwambu, Elishiba Kimani, Lucy Maina. (2015) Challenges in gender mainstreaming in the management of water at the bridge water project in Kakamega County, Kenya. Merit Research Journal of Art, Social Science and Humanities (ISSN: 2350-2258) Vol. 3(4) pp. 046-054, May 2015. Available online http://www.meritresearchjournals.org/assh/index.htm
- Elishiba Kimani, Lucy Maina and Brian Mwambu. (2015) Level of Awareness and Existing Policies on Gender Mainstreaming in the Management of the Bridge Water Project in Kakamega County Kenya. The International Journal of Humanities & Social Studies Journal, Volume 3, Issue 5, Pages 140-145.
- , Mwambu, E., Kimani and L. Maina (2015). Enhancing The Participation Of Men And Women In The Management Of Water Resources At The Bridge Water Supply Project In Kakamega County, Kenya In Journal of Advances In Humanities 3 (3), 332-341.
- Mitchell, C., Chege, F., Maina, L., and Rothman, M. (2014) Beyond Engagement: Policy Dialogue in Working with Children in Eight Nairobi Slums to Address Safety, Security and Housing (RGPH-2014-0419) Global Public Health Journal- Forthcoming.
- Chege, F., Maina, L., Mitchell, C., and Rothman, M. (2014). Evaluating the potential for improving child safety and security through housing and human settlements programming in Kenya. Rooftops Canada Foundation.
- Chege, F., Maina, L., Mitchell, C., and Rothman, M. (2014). Visual Essay: A Safe House? Girls’ Drawings on Safety and Security in Slums in and Around Nairobi. In Girlhood Studies: an Interdisciplinary Journal. Vol. 7, number 2. Voted the best in the new journals category.
- Njiiri, Ngari and Maina Assessment of Implementation of the community policing programme in Nakuru police division, Nakuru County, Kenya. In the International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Vol. 3, Issue 11, November 2014. ISSN (Online): 2319-7064. Impact factor 3.358.
- Maina, L.W and Mugenda, O.M, (2013) Family factors correlating with quality of life in Kenya. Prime Journals, October 2013, ISSN: 2315-5051. Available Online.
- Mugenda, O., Maina, L. and Gachanja, P (2013) Industries and Communities: Symbiotic Dependency and Sustainability in the Magana Industrial Park in Kenya. The Prime Journal of Social Science. Vol. 2, Issue 11, pp. 509-517. November 2013, ISSN: 2315-5051.
- Muia, D., Maina, L. and Mwangi, S. (2013) Changing Intergenerational relationships and their implications on family functioning in Africa. International Journal of Research and Education. Vol 1. No. 10. October 2013.
- Maina, L.W and Mugenda, O.M, (2013) Family factors correlating with quality of life in Kenya. Prime Journal of Social Science Vol., 2, Issue 10, pp. 474-481. October 2013, ISSN: 2315-5051.
- Rwenge, M., Njeri K, Maina, L. (2013) Facteurs explicatifs de l’entrepreneuriat feminine en Afrique sub-saharienne: Cameroon et Kenya. L’Institut de formation et De Recherche Demographiques.
- Kirui, A., Karagu, N. and Maina, L. (2013) Adaptations of Environmental Sound Practices for Industrial Parks in Kenya: Lessons from the Magana Industrial Park, Kenya. In the Journal of Human and Applied Sciences. Publishes by Kenyatta University.
- (2011) Godfrey Wafula Netondo, Fuchaka Waswa, Lucy Maina, Tabitha Naisiko, Nelly Masayi and Josephine K. Ngaira Agrobiodiversiy endangered by sugarcane farming in Mumias and Nzoia sugarbelts of Western Kenya Journal of Environmental Science and Technology-Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJEST-ISSN 1991-637X
- (2010) Mugenda, O., Kimani, E., Maina, L., Wainaina, M. Challenges facing Female Learners at Various Levels of Education in Kenya: Identifying Opportunities for policy, Action and Linkages Isiphethu Solwazi: Unizulu International, Journal of Education: Volume 2, Number 1, 2010, ISSN: 2078-7545. Available online.
- Kimani, E. and Maina, L. (2010) Older Women’s Rights to Property and Inheritance in Kenya: Culture, Policy and Disenfranchisement in Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work. Vol 19,
- pp 256-271 (2010) online.
- Place, F., Roothaert, R., Maina, L., Franzel, S., Sinja, J., and J. Wanjiku. (2009). The Impact of Fodder Shrubs on Milk Production and Income among Smallholder Dairy Farmers in East Africa and the Role of Research- Undertaken by the World Agroforestry Centre. Occasional Paper 12, World Agroforestry Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
- (2009) Waswa, F; Netondo G; Maina, L. Naisiko, T and Wangamati J: Potential of Corporate Social Responsibility for Poverty alleviation among Contract Sugarcane Farmers in the Nzoia Sugarbelt, Western, Kenya. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics. ISSN 1187-7863 (Print) 1573-322X (Online) Springer Netherlands.
- (2007) Maina, L. and Muia, D. Issues in the Application of Participatory Environmental Management. In Environment in Environment and Sustainable Development, Vol. II Published by School of Environmental Studies, Kenyatta University.
- (2007) Maina, L. Waswa, F and Waiyego, S: ‘Pitfalls in Constitution-Making In Kenya: Experiences from Bomas and the 2005 National Referendum. In L’AFRIQUE ORIENTALE-annuairre 2005. L’Harmattan. ISBN: 978-2-296-02643-8. EAN 9782296026438.
- (2007) Maina, L. and Fuchaka Waswa (2007) Evolving Pornographic Culture and Its Implications on the Spread of HIV/AIDS among the Youth In Kenya. In The Intersection of Human Capital, Gender and HIV/AIDS in the African Context. Peter Lang. ISSN 1861-1915, ISBN 3-631-54068-X, US-ISBN 0-8204-7736-2
- (2006) Maina, L. and Owino, G.: Gender and the Environment In Environment and Sustainable Development, Vol. I Published by JSPS and School of Environmental Studies, Kenyatta University. ISBN 9966-776-02-08.
- (2006) Maina, L. Media Landscape in Kenya. BBC, www.bbcworldservicetrust.amdi/index - ISBN 1-906086-07-9, ISSN 1810-925X. Online.
- (2005) J. Jumbe, Mwangi, B. M. and L. Maina (2005). Utilization of reservoir dams for fish production in Maragua and Thika Districts. AICAD Research Mini-reviews Vol. 4; 85-89.
- (2001), Maina, L. “The Profile of the Urban Aged Person” Published in WAJIBU: A Journal of Social and Religious Concern, Vol. 16, No. 3, September 2001.