Dr. Richard Makhanu Wafula
Secondary Level Text Books
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2010).Kichwa cha Kijani Kibichi na Hadithi Nyingine. Nairobi: Marimba Publications.
- Wafula Richard Makhanu; Kaui Musyoka (2010). Mwongozo wa Utengano. Nairobi: Njigua Books.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2000). Jitu La Kisasa” Mwendawazimu na Hadithi Nyingine (ed. Mwenda Mbatiah). Nairobi: Jomo Kenyatta Foundation.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (1993).Mwongozo wa Kusadikika. Nairobi: Kenya Literature Bureau.
Consultancy And Project Reports
- Peer-reviewed Book titled Strengthening Higher Education Leadership in Africa
- Panelist and judge for Tuzo ya Ubunifu
- Panelist and Judge, Wahome Mutahi Literary Prize
Non Reviewed Conference Papers
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu.(2014). 11-13 December 2014: “Itikadi na Ufundishaji wa Nadharia za Uhakiki wa Fasihi” . Pwani University
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu; Mue Elizabeth (2012). 29th – 2nd October 2012: “Matumizi ya Mkabala wa Kimarxi Katika Fasihi ya Kiswahili”, Blue Pearl Hotel, Dar es Salaam
Other Books by Reputable Publishers.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2010). “The Mutations of Caliban” Encyclopedia of African Thought (ed. Abiola Irele & Biodun Jeyifo) New York: Oxford University Press.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2004).“ Oratory: Political Oratory and its Use of Traditional Verbal Art” African Folklore: An Encyclopedia (ed. Philip Peek & Kwesi Nyankah). New York: Routledge, 2004.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2004)“ Moraa- Kenyan Visionary Healer” & “ Mugo Cege wa Kibiro- Kikuyu Prophet, Holy People of the World: A Cross- Cultural Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, 2004.
Editorship of Books
- Arege, Timothy; Wafula Richard Makhanu; Matundura Enock; Kadurenge Bernard; Matei Assumpta; Kandagor Mark (2020) Lugha Utamaduni na Katiba. Nairobi: Access Publishers
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2016) “Utangulizi” Fani ya Ushairi by Timothy Arege. Nairobi: Oxford University Press.
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2010, lexicographer) Kamusi Angaza (Ahmed Ndalu). Nairobi: East African Educational publishers.
- Kitula Kinge’i; Wafula, Richard Makhanu (1996). Pendo la Heba na Hadithi Nyingine Nairobi: Writers’ Association of Kenya.
Scholarly Presentations at Conferences/Workshops/Seminars
- 24-26th June 2022- Participated and presented paper at the 60th African Literature and Writers Anniversary Conference after Makerere 1962 under the Auspices of the Pan African Writers Association (PAWA), the Nigerian Academy of Letters (NAL), and the Association of Nigerian Writers. Presented paper “African Language Literatures: The Growth of a Creative and a Critical Tradition in Kiswahili Literature after Makerere 1962”, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- 16th- June 2022, “Diploma in Secondary School Education Curriculum Designs Writing Workshop- Panelist for Kiswahili, under auspices of Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, Naivasha, Kenya.
- 22-24th May 2022. Participated in Swahili Colloquium Namba 34. Presented “Nafasi ya Tawasifu ya Shaaban Robert kwa Kazi zake za Kinathari”, Chuo Kikuu cha Bayreuth, Ujerumani & Chuo Kikuu cha Moi, Kenya
- 25th, March 2021- 00 am- 12:00 pm –participated via zoom in Public Debate on National
- Values and Principles of Governance
- 19th, February 2021- participated in Organizing the International Mother Language Conference. Held at Centre for International Language and Culture, Kenyatta University
- May, 20th-30th CODESRIA HEPI Institute, Accra, Ghana. “ Deanship in Kenyan Universities: Its Conception and Understanding”
- 13th, August, 2019, participated in Pre-conference under theme “University Sector Positioning, Preparedness and Role in the Ongoing Educational Reforms for Enhanced Access, Inclusivity, Equity, Quality and Relevance”, held at Kenyatta University Conference Centre, Nairobi
- February 20-22nd February 2019. International Mother Language Day Conference. Kitui Campus, Kenyatta University.
- 17th February, 2018- Kongamano la Chama cha Wanafunzi wa Kiswahili, vyuo vikuu vya Afrika Mashariki
- February, 11-13, 2015: “Lugha za Kigeni na Nadharia za Uhakiki wa Fasihi”. International Conference of Foreign Languages & Literatures, BSSC, Kenyatta University
- 6-8 August 2014: “ Matumizi ya Mikakati ya Kienyeji kuchanganua Fasihi ya Kiswahili”,International Conference on African Languages and Literatures, Kenyatta University Students’ Business Centre
- 19-25 August 2013: “Athari za Shabaan Robert kwa Waandishi wa Baadaye”. Kongamano la Kumuenzi Shabaan Robert Baada ya Miaka 50, Bukoba Tanzania.
- 23th-24th august 2012. “Semina za Kiswahili za Chakita, Kunste Hotel, Nakuru.
- 29th September 2010 – 2nd October 2010: Presented paper titled: “Scholarly Research and Publishing Houses”under conference theme: Academic Publishing and Reading Needs in East Africa. Top Tower Hotel, Kigali: Rwanda.
- 10th, October 2010: Kongamano la uzinduzi wa Kiswahili, WASTA, upper Matasha, Ngong, Kenya
- 4th- 11th July 2007: Translator and Interpreter: World YWCA Council Conference under theme: “ Changing Lives: Changing Communities held at Jomo Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
- 16th- 18 th, 2004 July: Interpreter and translator at International Conference on Female Genital Mutilation: Developing a Political, Legal and Social Environment to implement the Maputo Protocal held at KICC, Nairobi, Kenya
- 11th- 14th November, 2004: Attended Conference titled “Power of Expression: identity, Language, Memory in Africa and the Diaspora. Marriott Hotel, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- 22, November 2002: presented “The Power of Embedding and Point of View in African Literature” at African Scholars Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, USA.
- 26th, April, 2002: “The Flux of the Intertexts in the Drama of Athol Fugard and John Ruganda”, Ohio State University, Columbus
- 25th- 27th 2001: The Construction of National Identities in the Kinder Und Hausmarchen and Facing Mount Kenya, Mid-West Graduate Students’ conference, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA.
- 28th-5th November 2000: “ Backshadowing as a Narrative Strategy in Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, Bloomington, Indiana “ Uchambuzi wa Amezidi” Makala ya Semina ya Kiswahili ya Kitaifa Nairobi: Kenya Kiswahili Association, 1997
- 6th-7th July 2022- Attended the Inaugural East African World Kiswahili Day Celebrations, Zanzibar.
- 8th July, 2022- attended seminar at Alliance Francaise, in Nairobi. Presented a paper “Bunilizi za Kikenya Tangu 1963: Kukua na Uainisho Wake”
- 26th-27th May 2022- Guest speaker at Open Society University Network to Collaborate in Research and Academic Related Activities, with Strong Emphasis on Student-centered Learning, Critical Literacy, Liberal Arts and Sciences Education. Symposium theme: “Nodes and Networks in Knowledge Production”
- 27th -28th January 2022- Workshop to Interrogate Curriculum Design for Grade 7, 8, & 9 Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, Chinese Language and Cultural Center.
- 6th – 7th October2021- workshop on “Osun HUBS for Connected Learning Initiatives Higher Education Pathways”, Kenyatta University Conference Centre.
- February 20th- 22nd 2019- Participated in the Bioethics Training Workshop Offered by the CBEC_KEMRI Bioethics Training Initiative for Kenyatta University Ethics Review Committee, Kenyatta University Conference Centre.
- 26th Sept- 4th October 2020- Took part in Workshop for the Development of Learning Assessment Tools for Class 5 and 6 under the Covid – 19 Learning Continuity in Basic Education Project.
- 7th- 15th October 2020- Took part in Workshop for the Development of Learning Assessment Tools for Class 1,2 and 3 under the Covid – 19 Learning Continuity in Basic Education Project.8.
- 14th – 23th, September 2020- participated in the Workshop for the Development of Learning Assessment Tools for Grade 4, Class 7 and 8 under the Covid-19 learning Continuity in Basic Education Project
- 15th, July 2016- Facilitator, “Warsha ya Waalimu wa Kiswahili ya Shule ya Wavulana ya Masii, Wilaya ya Mwala, Kaunti ya Machakos
- 7th June 2016-“Facilitator Warsha ya waalimu wa Kiswahili Katika shule za wilaya ya Marani, Kaunti ya Kisii”.
- 12. 2nd December 2015- participated in Seminar “ Fasihi ya Kiswahili na Mustakabali Wake, Kituo cha Wanafunzi cha Biashara, Chumba namba 014, Chuo Kikuu cha Kenyatta.
- 28th- 14th November, 2014, “Course on Teaching Methodology”, BSSC, Kenyatta University
- 8th- 9th 2012 May. “Methodological workshop on Higher Educational Leadership in Africa”. Under the auspices of Codesria.
Book Review in Refereed Journal
- Wafula, Richard Makhanu (2010). “An Emic Reading of Drums of Death by Chris Lukorito Wanjala” Kenya studies Review Volume 1 Number 2 December 2010
- 25th May 2008, “ Analysing Leadership Poetically”, Sunday Nation.
- 3rd January 1997, “ In Support of Kiswahili” Weekly Review.
- 16th April 1994, “ Adventure Stories Put into Kiswahili” Weekly Review
- 27th August 1993, “ Black Expressive Culture” Weekly Review
- 30th July 1993, “ Understanding Swahili Poetry” Weekly Review
- May 1993, “An Improved Swahili Journal”, Weekly Review.