Dr. Richard Makhanu Wafula
Title/Qualifications: Senior Lecturer. (Ph.D–comparative Literature & Minors in Folklore and African Studies – Indiana University, Bloomington- 2003)
Position: Senior Lecturer.
Area of Specialization:
Classical Literature, Comparative Literature, Theory of Literature, Contemporary Kiswahili Literature, Kiswahili Literature in History, Stylistics & Oral Literature
- February, 11-13 2015, “Lugha za Kigeni na Nadharia za Uhakiki wa Fasihi”, Internationala Conference on Foreign Languages and Literatures, BSSC, Kenyatta University
- December 11-13, 2014: “Itikadi na Ufundishaji wa Nadharia za Uhakiki wa Fasihi” . Pwani University, Kenya.
- August 6-8, 2014, “ Kutumia Mikakati ya Kienyeji Kuchanganua Fasihi za Kiafrika”,Internationa Conference on African Languages & Literatures
- August,19-25, 20013: “ Athari za Shaaban Robert Kwa Waandishi wa Baadaye” Kongomano la Kumuenzi Shaaban Robert Baada ya Miaka 50, Bukoba, Tanzania.
- October, 14-15 2013. “Ushairi wa Kiswahili na Uwasilishaji wa Harakati za Kukabiliana na Matatizo yaliyopo Katika Mataifa Huru ya Afrika”, CHAKAMA, St. Augustine University, Mwanza, Tanzania.
- August 23-24, 2012. “Semina za Kiswahili za Chakita”, Mshirikishi wa Mijadala, KUCC,Kenyatta University, Kenya.
- October 4-6 2012: “Matumizi wa Mkabala wa Umarx Mpya Katika Fasihi ya Kiswahili”, Blue Pearl Hotel, Dar es Salaam.
- September 29th,2010 – 2nd October 2010: Presented paper titled: “Scholarly Research and Publishing Houses”under conference theme: Academic Publishing and Reading Needs in East Africa. Top Tower Hotel, Kigali: Rwanda.
- July 4th- July 11th 2007. Translator and Interpreter: World YWCA Council
- Conference under theme: “ Changing Lives: Changing Communities held at Jomo Kenyatta International Conference Centre, Nairobi, Kenya
- September16th- 18th 2004. Interpreter and translator at International Conference
- on Female Genital Mutilation: Developing a Political, Legal and Social Environment to implement the Maputo Protocal held at KICC, Nairobi, Kenya.
- November 22, 2002: “ The Power of Embedding and Point of View in African Literature”, Nashville Tennessee, USA
- April, 26th 2002: “ The Flux of the Intertexts in the Drama of Athol Fugard and John Ruganda”, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA.
- February 25th- 27th, 2001: “ The Construction of National Identities in the Kinder-und Hausmarchen and Facing Mount Kenya”, Indiana University, Bloomington
- October 28th- 5th Nov 2000: “ Backshadowing as a Narrative Strategy in Achebe’s Things Fall Apart, Indiana University, Bloomington.
- July15th, 2016, Facilitator at “Warsha ya Waalimu wa Kiswahili, Shule ya Wavulana ya Masii, Wilaya ya Mwala, Kaunti ya Machakos
- May 28th- 14th November 2014, “Course on Teaching Methodology” BSSC, Kenyatta University.
- 28th- 30th April 2014, “ Comparative Research Networks”, KUCC, Kenyatta University.
- May 8th- 9th 2012. “Methodological workshop on Higher Educational Leadership in Africa”. Under the auspices of Codesria.
- September 2nd -5th 2006. Resource person. National Literature and Fasihi Workshop at Goan Institute, Nairobi
- March 4th – 8th march 2005 “Lobbying and Advocacy for Policy Issues in Education Sector”. Solidarity Centre/ Kenya National Union of Teachers/ Universities Academic Staff Union at Thompson’s Falls Lodge Nyahururu, Kenya.
- August 2nd- 6th 2004. Universities Academic Staff Union Workshop on Administration and Leadership Skills sponsored by the American Solidarity Center held at Kenvash Hotel, Naivasha Kenya.
- September 24th- 25th 2004- resource person in workshop on Teaching Kiswahili in Secondary Schools in Kenya held at the Science Complex, Kenyatta University.
- 3rd October, 2003 “ Teaching Kiswahili” CHAKITA Workshop, Kunste Hotel Nakuru.
- July 3rd- July 6th 2001. African Language Pedagogy held at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA.
- July 28th- 29th 1999. African Language pedagogy at Indiana University, Bloomington USA.
- June 22nd- 23rd 1997. Resource person for Kiswahili Language Teachers. Organised by The Kenya Kiswahili Association and held at Meru School.
- May22nd- 23rd 1996- Resource person at workshop for developing an Integrated Kiswahili text book for Kenya Secondary schools under the auspices of the Jomo kenyatta Foundation.
- 11th- 22 nd April 1994: “ Support Subjects for Artisan Courses”, Kenya Institute of Education, Nairobi.
- May 28th- 31, 1994: Resource Person at Workshop for Training Young Writers, Harambee Hall Kenyatta University, Nairobi.