Prof. Geoffrey Kitula King’ei
ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN REFERRED JOURNALS
i.“Matumizi ya Lugha Katika Maandishi ya Ebrahim Hussein”, Mulika, 18, Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar-es-Salaam 1987.
ii.“Inculcating a Sense of Responsibility in the Youth" Kenya Journal of Education Vol. 4 No. 2, 1989.
iii.“Swahili Taarab as a Medium of Political Expression in Kenya”, in Writers’ Forum, Vol. 2, 1994.
iv. Over 60 book reviews press articles on Kiswahili Literature, Education, Culture and General Issues in Kenyan Newspapers and Magazines (1982 to date.
v. African Women Literature, A Man’s Perspective” in Chege, C. (Ed.) African Development CODESRIA Dakar, Senegal, Vol. XX No. 4, 1995, pp. 137 – 141.
vi. “The Challenges of Writing for Children”, Swahili Studies No. 6, 1995, Osaka University, pp. 131 – 137.
vii. “Writing for Children in Kiswahili and Other Language Swahili Studies, No. 6, 1995, Osaka University, pp. 32 – 38.
viii. “Culture, Development, and the New World order in Africa” in Louis B. Seraphiao (ed.) Africa and the New World Order, New Jersey, U.S.A., 1996.
ix. “The Writer and Human Rights in Kenya”, at the International Book Fair, Harare, Zimbabwe, July 1995 Published in Independent Review Vol. 1 No. 2, 1997.
x. “The Impact of Kenya’s Language Policy on the Adult Literacy Programme.” Limage, L. 1998 (Ed.) Comparative Perspectives on Language and Literacy. Daker: UNESCO, (409 – 418).
xi. “Historia na Maendeleo ya Kiswahili” in Chemchemi, an International Journal of Arts and Sciences, Vol. 1 No. 1, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, 1999 pp.82 – 94.
xii. “The Challenge of Expanding the Lexicon of an African Language: The Case of Kiswahili in East Africa”. Occasional paper No. 8, CASAS, Cape Town, 1999.
xiii. “Swahili Technical Terminology: Problems of Development and Usage in Kenya, Swahili Forum AAP No.60, 1999 pp.147 – 160.
xiv. “A Descriptive Study of Arabic Loan Words in Kiswahili”, Languages and Linguistics No.5, 2000 (67-83).
xv. “Language in Development Research in 21st Century Africa” African Studies Quarterly: Vol. 3, No.3, 2000. (Online)
xvi. “Problems of Acceptability of Standard Swahili by Non-Kiunguja Native Swahili Speakers”. Kahigi et.al. (ed.) Languages of Tanzania CNWS, Leiden, 2000 (81 – 89).
xvii. “Language Political communication and Development: A Brief Analysis of Contemporary Kenyan political Discourse,” in Shitemi et. al. (Ed.) (2001). Kiswahili: A Tool for Development The Multidisciplinary Approach.
Eldoret: Moi University Press. (99-104)
xviii. "Shirazi Influence on Swahili Language", in Historical Role of the Iranians in the East African Coast. Nairobi: Embassy of Iran, 2001 (83-950 (co-authored)
xix. "Language Use and Theme in Children's Fiction: A Study of Ikeda's Children's fiction", in Indangasi and Odari (Ed.), Ikeda and Africa, University of Nairobi press, Nairobi, 2001 (35-43).
xx. "Matatizo ya Matumizi ya Lugha katika Vyombo vya Habari: Mifano kutoka Kenya". AAP Swahili Forum No. 64, December 2000 (45-56).
xxi. "Language and Communication Strategies for Civic Education in Kenya: The Options and challenges. The Independent Review Vol. 2, 1. May 2001 (73-78).
xxii. "From the Real to the Ideal: Survey of Kiswahili Curricular in East Africa's Universities". Kiswahil Katika Karne ya Ishirini na Moja Edited by Njogu, K. et.al. CASAS Book Series No. 17, 2001(pp. 179-186).
xxiii. "Stunted Growth of Kiswahili Literature in Kenya: Causes and Remedy". Kiswahili Vol. 63, 2000 (pp. 89 - 95) Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam.
xxiv. "Kiswahili Technical Terminology: Problems of Development and Usage in Kenya" Kiswahili Vol. 63, 2000 (pp. 55-67) Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam.
xxv. Classification of Ugandan Languages CASAS, Cape Town, South Africa.
xxvi. “Nafasi ya Nyimbo za Taarab za Kiswahili katika Jamii ya Kisasa” . Mulika . No. 25, 2002 (30-36).
xxvii. “The Role of African Languages in Development in the 21st Centrury: Reflections on Kiswahili. Chemchemi.” (2002).on the Policies on African Languages in Education” , Chemchemi, Vol. 2 No. 1, December 2002, (87-93).
xxviii. “Swala la Uana katika Fasihi ya Kiswahili. Uhakiki wa Tafiti kutoka Kenya”. I. K.Simala (2002) (Mhar.) Utafiti katika Kiswahili. Eldoret, Moi University.
xxix. “ Language as a Governance Issue. Reflections on Kenya’s Contemporary Language Situation” in Governance, Society and Development in Kenya. (Eds.) Achola et. al.2004). Nairobi: Moi University Press.
xxx. The Globalization of Kiswahili: The Role of Germans from 1848 to 2004”. (Eds.)Betty. et al. (2005). DAAD/UON: Nairobi. Goeth Institut.
xxxi. Kiswahili Taarab: From Orality to Globality. In LWATI, Journal of African Arts and Humanities, Vol2 Issue No.3, Univeristy of Swaziland, 2005.
xxxii. “Kiswahili in the Technical Age: Challeges in the Legal ad Parliamnetary Registers of Kiswahili in Kenya”, in LWATI, journal of Arts and Humanities, University of Swaziland, Issue No. 4 2006.(185-200)
xxxiii. “Lugha kama Kitambulisho: Changamoto ya Sheng Nchini Kenya in Kioo Cha Lugha, Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Issue no. 4, 2006 (46-53).
xxxiv. “Lugha kama Kitambulisho: Changamoto ya “Sheng” nchini Kenya”, in Kioo cha Lugha, Journal of the Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam. Issue 4, 2006 ( 46-53).
xxxv. “Athari za washairi wakongwe juu ya washairi wa kisasa: Mfanowa Muyaka bin Haji na Ahmadi Nassir”, in Kioo cha Lugha. Journal of the Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam. Issue5 , 2007 (30-38).
xxxvi. “Masuala ya Kinadharia katika Ukuzaji wa Istilahi za Kiswahili: Mifano kutokana na Mradi wa Kamusi wa Microsoft” , in Ongech, N.O. et. al. ( Eds). (2008) Nadharia katika Taaluma ya Kiswahili na Lugha za Kiafrika. Moi University Press, Eldoret. ).(2009). (221-226)
xxxvii. “Perspectives on the Role of German and British Missionaries in the Development of Kiswahili in East Africa”, in Prah, K.K. (Ed) (2009).
xxxviii. The Role of Missionaries in the Development of African Languages, CASA Book SeriesNo.66. Cape Town. (2011). (195-204).
xxxix. “Language Provisions in Kenya’s New Constitution and their Implications on Language Policy.” Kiswahili Vol 75. (2012). (1-11)
xl. . “ Taswira za Ukosoaji na “Utopia” katika Ushairi wa Said Ahamed Mohamed.” In Dunia Yao Utopia and Dystopia in Swahili Fiction. In Honour of Said A.M. Khamis: Koln (2016:167-185)
xli. “Shaaban Robert na Utetezi wa Mwanamke” In Mulika Na. 33 (2017) 21-32.
- “The Historical and Thematic Development of the Swahili Novel”. Kenyatta University, Department of Languages and Linguistics, Seminar, 1981.
- “Themes in Swahili Taarab Songs”, department of Music Seminar, Kenyatta University, 1986.
- “The Development of Swahili Technical Terms: Some views on Acceptability”, KKA International Conference, Goethe Institute, Nairobi, October 1988.(Published)
- “The Portrayal of Womanhood in African Culture: Case of the Swahili Taarab Songs of East Africa”. African Literature Association Conference, University of Wisconsin, Madison, March 1990.
- “The Communication of Political, Ideology in Swahili Taarab Songs”, African Studies Association Conference, University of Maryland, Baltimore, November 1990. (Published)
- “The Impact of Post Independence Language Policy on Selected Aspects of Socio-economic Development to the Post Colonial Education in Africa Colloquium: Educational Innovation in post Colonial Africa, University of Cape Town, south Africa, December 12 – 15, 1994.
- “The Writer and Human Rights in Kenya”, African International writers Workshop organized by Zimbabwe Book Development Council, Harare Zimbabwe. July 31 – August 4, 1995. (Published).
- “Common Mistakes in Kiswahili: Theory and Practice” Department of Kiswahili, Kenyatta University, March 1996.
- “The Underdevelopment of Kenya’s Kiswahili Literature” Department of Kiswahili, Kenyatta University, March 1996. (published)
- “Critical Issues in Kenya’s Language Education Curriculum, at Language in Education Seminar”, University of Cape Town, S.A. July 14 – 20, 1996.
- “Creative Literature, Democracy, and Good Governance: The Role of the Creative Writer” at the International Writers Workshop, I.D.S., University of Nairobi, August 22 – 24, 1996. (Published).
- “Language Political Communication and Development: A Brief Analysis of Contemporary Kenyan political Discourse,” At the National Conference on Communication and Development, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya, September 10 – 13, 1997. (Published)
- “Training of Teachers of African Oral Literature: Challenges and Opportunities” at a Workshop for Teachers of English, The British Council and KOLA, Nairobi, 2nd May, 1998. (Forthcoming)
- “The Impact of Kenya’s Language Policy on the Adult Literacy Programme” at the Language and Literacy Commission of the 10th World Congress on Comparative Education (WCCES), University of Cape Town, south Africa, July 12-18, 1998. (Published)
- “Classification of Ugandan Languages” at the CASAS Workshop, Cape Town, South Africa, October 1-2, 1998. (Forthcoming)
- “The Challenge of Expanding the Lexicon of an African Language: The Case of Kiswahili in East Africa”, at the CASAS Workshop, Cape Town, October 1 – 2, 1998. (Published)
- “The Issue of Language in Social Science Research in Africa in the 21st Century”, at the OSSREA National Conference, Maseno University College, December 10 – 11th, 1998. (Published)
- “Problems of Harmonising Kiswahili Technical Terms” at University of Bayreuth, Germany, May 10 – 17, 1999. (Published)
- “The Interface Between History and Folklore in Utendi wa Liyongo”, at the ISNFR Workshop, Nairobi, August 20 – 21, 1999. ( Published. )
- “Uhakiki wa Tafiti za Kiuwana katika Kiswahili katika Kenya” at the international Kiswahili Conference, Maseno University College, Kisumu, 8th – 11th September, 1999. (Published).
- “The Role of African Languages in the 21st Century” at Kenyatta University Annual Culture Week Seminar Series, Sept. 21 – 23rd, 1999. (Published).
- “Issues of Concern in the Standardization and Harmonisation of Kiswahili”, at the Centre of Advanced Studies on African Society Workshop, Johannesburg, South Africa, 20th – 22nd September, 1999. (Published).
- “Challenges and Opportunities in the Development of African Languages in Kenya: A Contemporary Perspective” at the International Kiswahili Conference, Institute of Kiswahili Research, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, March 2000. (Published).
- “A Critical Survey of Research on Kiswahili Language and Literature: The Case of Kenyatta and Nairobi Universities – 1974 – 1998” at the International Conference on African Languages, Maseno University College, May 2000. (Published).
- “Aspects of Autobiography in the Classical Swahili Poetry: Problems of Identity and Authorship”, at the ISFNR Conference, Kenyatta University, July 17 – 22, 2000. (Published)
- “Matatizo ya Matumizi ya Lugha katika Vyombo vya Habari”, Katika Kongamano la Kimataifa la Kiswahili, Mombasa, Oktoba 3-6,2000. (Published)
- “Pitfalls and Ambivalence in Kenya’s Post-colonial Language Policy”, at the International conference on Applied Language, University of Cape Town, South Africa, December 7 – 11, 2000. (Published)
- “The Influence of Persian Language on Kiswahili Lexicon” (Co-authored) at The International Conference on the Influence of Shirazi in East Africa, Nairobi, Kenya, Jan. 18 – 19, 2001. (Published)
- “The Swahilization of Kenya’s Culture” at The Annual Interdisciplinary Symposium, 2001, Laikipia College Campus, Egerton University, Kenya, March 8 – 10. (Published)
- “The Challenge of Language Choice in Kenya’s National Campaign on Literacy”, at The OSSREA Conference, Nakuru, Kenya, March 28 – 30, 2001.
- "Linguistic Deprivation as a Socio-cultural Phenomenon: The Challenge of 'Sheng'
in Kenya" at the ATWS Conference, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya. Sept. 17- 19, 2001.
- The Challenge of Globalizing Language: The Case for Kiswahili as a World Language". International Kiswahili Conference, Egerton University. Thomson Falls Lodge, Nyahururu, Kenya. 2-5 October, 2001.
- Teaching HIV/AIDS in Kiswahili at the University Level: Challenges and Curriculum Structure. At Kenyatta University International Workshop on HIV/AID Curriculum Development, Utalii College, Nairobi, Kenya. 30th October, 2002.
- Language as a Governance issue in Kenya. At OSSREA Conference, Eldoret, Kenya, November, 21-23, 2002.(Published)
- Composition, Adaptation and Expression in Selected Kiswahili Songs. At Kenyatta University International Symposium on Music Education, K.U. November 20-23, 2003.
- “Changamoto katika Mabadiliko ya Mitalaa na Uteuzi wa Vitabu Nchini Kenya, TUKI, Kenyatta University, Feb. 27, 2004.
- “ Golobolisation of Kiswahili: The Role of Germans from 1848 to 2002.: at DAAD Workshop on Cross-Cultural Studies, University of Nairobi 17-18 March, 2005.
- “Theoretical Issues in the Development of Kiswahili Technical Terminology in the Field of ICT”, at the International Kiswahili Conference, Moi University, Kenya, 21-25 November, 2005.
- “The Theme of Nationalism in East Africa’s Kiswahili Popular Songs: 1950-2000.”, at Departmental Evening Colloquium, Faculty of African Languages and Literature, Bayreuth University, Germany, 5 December, 2006.
- “Amani: Perspectives on the Theme of Peace in Modern Kiswahili Poetry”, at Writters Association of Kenya Workshop, Hotel Milimani, Nairobi, Kenya June 2007. (Published)
- “ A Survey of E-sources for Kiswahili Oral Literature in Kenya”, at the Kenya Oral Literature Association (KOLA) Seminar, Diani Beach Hotel, Mombasa, November 2009.
- “Perspectives on the Role of German and British Missionaries in the Development of Kiswahili in East Africa” in Prah, K. K. (Ed.) The Role of Missionaries in the Development of African Languages: CASAS Book SERIES No. 66.
- “ Themes and Language Use in Contemporary Kiswahili Hip Hop Songs at the International Society on Oral Literature Associations (ISOLA), Mombasa, Kenya, July, 2010.
- “English Loanwords in Kiswahili.” Swahili Colloquium, Bayreuth University, Germany, May 2011.
- “Language Policy and Related Issues in Kenya’s New Constitution, .Faculty Seminar, Literature in African Languages, Bayreuth, July 2011.
- “ Taswira za Ukosoaji na “Utopia” katika Ushairi wa Said Ahamed Mohamed.” International Swahili Colloquium, University of Bayreuth, Germany May 2012. (Published)
A” A Study of English Loanwods in Kiswahili” at te Department of Literature in African Languages, Bayreuth University, Bayreuth, Germany., July 2016.
- “ The State of Higher Education in Kenyan Public Universities,” at the Academy of Advanced African Studies”, University of Bayreuth, Germany, July 2016.
- “Shaaban Robert na Utetezi wa Mwanamke:Mfano wa Siti BInti Saad.” In Mulika no 33, (2016), (21-32)
- “Maadili ya Kisiasa katika Riwaya za Kiswahili: Kufa Kuzikana na Babu Alipofufuka” Mulika Journal, Special Issue CHAUKIDU, 2017. (119-132).
- “Challenges of Traslating Creative Literature from English into Kiswahili” in Mwanga wa Lugha Journal Issue 1, No. 2 (2017).