Dr. Emily Ogutu
Participation In Learned Conferences, Seminars And Workshops
June 19th-20th 2018 Kenyatta University Institute of African Studies- workshop on ‘Trends in Kenya Youth Language Practices”
September 7th-9th 2017 International Conference on Language and Law in a World of Media, Globalization and Social Conflicts; at the University of Freiburg, Germany. Co- Presented a paper entitled:“Speech Act Functions in Direct and Cross Examination Discourse in the Kenyan Courtroom”
June 22nd – 25th 2016 KESSA-Multimedia University of Kenya Joint International Interdisciplinary Conference, At Multimedia University of Kenya Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya. Presented a paper entitled: Deal or Duel: A Frame Analysis of Kenyan Newspapers’ Reporting on the Tenth World Trade Organization Ministerial Conference, Nairobi, and December 2015
January 18th -19th 2016 3rd International Conference on language Literature and Society 2016. Held in Bangkok Hotel, Lotus Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand: Co-presented a paper entitled: Reporting or Evaluating? Representation of the Nigerian 2011 post–presidential elections news reports through the ideological lenses of the media.
- Participated (as presenter, facilitator, Chair of session, recording, audience) in several including the following recent ones:
- April 16th -17 2015:English for Effective Communication Conference Challenges and Opportunities in East Africa. Title of paper presented:“I think, according to my opinion’ and other features of speech in learner’s academic writing”
- Dec 3rd 2014 29th:Postgraduate Seminar Presentations School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Kenyatta University. Presenting research dissertation along with my PhD Student
- July 22-23,2010:International Conference on Multilingualism and Education: Global Practices, Challenges and the Way Forward Co-hosted By Kenyatta University and The University of Pennsylvania, at Kenyatta University Conference Centre (KUCC) Nairobi, Kenya. Presented a paper entitled: “Multilingualism and Enhancing the Achievement of Communication Goals in the Classroom”
- July 6-8, and 13-15, 2009:Resource Person in Workshop on ‘Minute Taking and Report Writing Skills’, to Kenyatta University Administrative Assistants, organized by Kenyatta University Centre for Capacity Development in Higher Education, at KUCC.
- February 23-27, 2009:Facilitation of Workshop on ‘Speech Writing Skills’ for Officials from Government Ministries and other Departments, organized by Kenya Institute of Administration (KIA) at KIA.
- September 15-17 2008:Workshop for Report Writing Skills for Donor Funded Research and Other Projects, Organized by Kenyatta University Centre for Capacity Development in Higher Education - served as Writer of Training Manual and Facilitator.
- June 22nd -29th 2008:Global Anglican Future Conference, Jerusalem – Israel. Delegate from the Anglican Church of Kenya, representing Diocese of Nairobi.
- June 13th 2008:National Languages Workshop For Teachers of English – I served as Facilitator on ‘The river Between’, ‘An Enemy of the People’, English Grammar –the integrated approach.
- November 16-17, 2007:The International Conference on UN Millennium Development Goals and Poverty Reduction in the Commonwealth and Africa: in Kampala, Uganda. Presented a paper entitled: ‘The Use of Interactional Language in the Classroom, An Ingredient in Universal Primary Education’
- September 2007:National Languages Workshop For Teachers Of English – I served as facilitator.
- April 2007:Kenya Oral Literature Association (KOLA) Workshop in Nairobi.
- November 22-25, 2005 :International Conference on East African Oral Literature . Kisumu –Kenya.Title of paper presented: ‘Our Flora and Fauna in our Proverbs and yings–our Aesthetics in Discourse - our Wisdom’
- October 15- 16, 2005:Korea Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (KOTESOL) International Conference in Seoul S. Korea.
- January 10 – 14, 2005:National Workshop on Grant Proposal Writing. – Kenyatta University. Title of paper presented: “ Writing to Inform, Writing to Persuade”
- July 2-6, 2002: 2nd International Conference on African Languages - Hammanskraal Campus - University of Pretoria. Title of paper presented: “An African Language Classroom Discourse: Two Challenges of the Instructor”
- Emily, A. Ogutu Kiguru Gatitu, MartinC. Njoroge:Speech Act Functions in Direct and Cross Examination Discourse in the Kenyan Courtroom,University of Freiburg Germany September 7th-9th 2017,$300
- Emily, A. Ogutu Nthiga M. Purity, &Kiguru Gatitu :Deal or Duel: A Frame Analysis of Kenyan Newspapers’ Reporting on the Tenth World Trade Organization Ministerial Conference, Nairobi, and December 2015,Nairobi/ Kenya.June 22nd – 25th 2016,$60
- Eily, A. Ogutu &Asiru Thunde Hameed:Reporting or evaluating? Representation of the Nigerian 2011 post–presidential elections news reports through the ideological lenses of the media Bangkok/ Thailand.January 18th -19th 2016,$300
- Emily A. Ogutu:‘I think – according to my opinion’ and other features of speech in learner’s academic writing,Nairobi/ Kenya.April 16th – 17th 2015,$60
- Emily A. Ogutu:Multilingualism And Enhancing The Achievement of Communication Goals in the Classroom Nairobi/ Kenya,July 22nd – 23rd 2010,$40
- Emily A. Ogutu:‘The Use Of Interactional Language In The Classroom, An Ingredient In Universal Primary Education’,Kampala / Uganda.November 16 - 17th. 2007,$60
- Emily A. Ogutu:‘Our Flora and Fauna in our Proverbs and Sayings – our Aesthetics in Discourse - our Wisdom’,Kisumu/ Kenya,November 22-25, 2005,$25
- Emily A. Ogutu: “An African Language Classroom Discourse: Two Challenges of the Instructor Pretoria / South Africa July 2-6, 2002,$200
- Emily A. Ogutu:“Discovering Successful Second language Writing Strategies”.Nairobi / Kenya September 1998
- Emily A. Ogutu,2009-16:Discourse/ Text analysis, Student writing,Self
- Emily A. Ogutu Prof D AMutasa,2008:Teaching and Administering in African Languages.Self,$35
- Emily A. Ogutu ,2006:Mother Tongue amidst Other languages: Playing Roles in the Classroom and Outside”.Self,$30
- Emily A. Ogutu Kanana F.E,2004:Code Switching in Multilingual Situation: Opposing Views”.Self,$20
- Emily A. Ogutu Onditi T. L,2002:The Use of Mother Tongue and Tribalism – A misconceived
- Emily A. Ogutu FlorenceA.Owili,2000:Terminology and Signaling in Kiswahili Health Informational Texts.Self ,$30
- The Area Of Text Linguistics: In Particular The Study Of Writing And Means Of Appropriate Textualization Of Coherence In Written Texts For Better Communication. Effective Reading Skills And The Relationship Of Cohesion And Reading As An Interaction.
- Discourse Analysis And The Study Of Language As Communication.
- The Study Of African Languages As Medium Of Instruction.
- Politeness In Language Use.