Research and Publications
- Olembo, Waveney and Charles Kebaya. “Power and Gendered Identities: (Re)Configuring the Gendered Self in Kenyan Drama.” In Research on Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol. 3 No. 9,(2013): 96 – 105.
- 2010 (Compiled/Edited with Prof. E. Ilieva). When the Sun Goes Down and Other Stories. Nairobi: Longhorn Publishers.
- 1999, 2001 Chief Editor, first two issues of Chemchemi: International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Humanities and Social Sciences (Former Faculty of Arts), Kenyatta University.
- 1986 Co-author. Integrated English. Bk. I. Nairobi: K.I.E.
- 1986 Editor. The Music of Poetry. London: Edward Arnold.
- 1985 “Resources for Secondary School Reading.” Mwalimu 2(8 – 9)
- 1987 “Oral Literature in African Indigenous Education.” BERC Bulletin 10(23-25).
Participation/Attendance at Conferences/ Workshops /Seminars
- Seminar on “The Sublime Politics of Art: Aesthetic Freedom and Political Freedom in Paul Beatty’s Slumberland.” A presentation made by Dr. Anita Vrzina of the University of Bayreuth on 23rd. August, 2016.
- Seminar on “Contingent Textualities: The Mobile Text.” A presentation by Dr. Mbugua wa Mungai of Kenyatta University Literature Department on 15th. September, 2016.
- 2014: Participated in the International Conference on African Languages and Literatures at Kenyatta University.
- 2014: Chaired two sessions of the International Conference on African Languages and Literatures at Kenyatta University, 6th to 8th August.
- 2014: Attended information literacy training at the Kenyatta University library in May.
- 2013: Participated in training workshop on teaching methodology at the Centre for Teaching Excellence and Evaluation, Kenyatta University.
- 2013: Participated in short training in Grant Writing and Management for research at Kenyatta University in April.
- 2012: Completed the STEP Train the Trainers Workshop at Kenyatta University in March, under the sponsorship of the Kenya National Commission for UNESCO (KNATCOM-UNESCO), Leuphana University of Lueneberg, Germany and Kenyatta University.
- 2011: Participated in a capacity building training workshop on how to deliver the General Methodology Course (PUCU 500) at Kenyatta University.
- 1992: Attended the Ford Foundation sponsored conference on “Teaching African Studies at the Undergraduate Level,” at St. Lawrence University, New York State.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- 2015:Presented a paper on Safi Abdi’s work at the 2nd. Eastern Africa Literary and Cultural Studies Conference, Makerere University, Uganda, August.
- 2014: Presented paper entitled: “Confinement and Creativity: Dialectics of Prison Poetry in Kenya” at a workshop on “North-South Literary and Cultural Interactions,” at the Freie University, Berlin, 1-5 September.
- 2014: With Charles Kebaya, presented a paper entitled “Beyond Brutality: Space and Language in Prison Writing in Kenya” at the International Conference on African Languages and Literatures,at Kenyatta University in August.
- 1993: Presented (with Prof. Julia Gitobu) a paper entitled “The Management of an Academic Department,” at a senior management seminar.
- 1993: Presented a paper entitled “Lecture as Performance in the Teaching of Literature,”at a seminar on “Lecturing at the University: The Communication Skills Perspective,”at Kenyatta University.
- 1992: Presented a paper entitled “Making Relevant the Literature of Other Times and Places,” at the Oxford Conference on Literature Teaching, Oxford University, U K.
- 1986: Presented a paper entitled “Curriculum Realities and their Implications for Teaching Poetry in Kenya,” at a conference on English in East Africa, British Council, Nairobi.
- Edited (with Emilia Elieva): Making the Best of It: An anthology of Short Stories. Nairobi: Longhorn Publishers, 2016.
- Ilieva, Emilia and Waveney Olembo. Comps. & Eds. When the Sun Goes Down and Other Stories.Nairobi: Longhorn Publishers, 2010. ISBN 978 9966 36 231 2
- Olembo, Waveney. Ed. The Music of Poetry. London: Edward Arnold, 1986. ISBN 0 7131 8420 5
- Olembo, Waveney. Ed. Words of Magic. London, Edward Arnold, 1986. ISBN 0 7131 8476 0
- Patron of the Kenyatta University student organisation – Moonlight Meet of Poets, from September, 2016.
- Co-ordinated the development of the first curriculum of the Ph. D. Literature programme by coursework, examination and thesis at Kenyatta University, 2015.
- Chief Editor, first two issues of Chemchemi: International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Humanities and Social Sciences (Former Faculty of Arts), Kenyatta University, 1999, 2001.
- Co-ordinated the first curriculum for the unitized system for the Literature department, Kenyatta University, 1982.
- Served as registration officer and academic counselor for all first year students, Faculty of Arts, Kenyatta University, 1982, 1984, 1985. Received letters of commendation from two deans.
- Established a resource centre for the Literature Department and organized for funds, resources and initial personnel.
At the international level, jury member representing Kenya for the first five-person Burt Award for African Young Adult Literature (BAAYAL), 2017.
- Elected chairperson of the Third North/ Luruti Neighbourhood Group, Kahawa Sukari Estate (from August, 2016).
Last Updated on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 16:19