Dr. Calvine Kayi
Contact Address: P. O. Box 43844 GPO 00100, NAIROBI
Position: Lecturer and Editor-in-Chief, Chemchemi International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences
Area of Specialization: Transport Policy and Planning
Specialization, Teaching & Research Interests:
- Transport Planning & Policy, Logistics and Development
- Research Methods
- Applied Statistics
- Qualitative and Quantitative Data Analysis Techniques.
Research and Publications
‘Constraints to Profitable Participation in Agro-food Value Chain: A Case of Small-scale Banana Farmers in Meru County, Kenya” International Journal of Scientific Research Publications, Volume 8, Issue 7, 2018. ISSN 2250-3153. DOI: 10.29322/IJSRP.8.7.2018.p7912 (http://dx.doi.org/10.29322/IJSRP.8.7.2018.P7912) – Co-authored with Susan Mbuthia and Stephen Wambugu)
‘The spatio-temporal distribution of periodic banana markets in meru county, Kenya’ (2018). International Journal of Development Research (IJDR) Volume:8, Article ID: 12222; ISSN 2230 – 9926, www.journalijdr.com/spatio-temporal-distribution - Co-authored with Susan W. Mbuthia and Stephen K. Wambugu
- ‘Slogans and Mottos on Matatus: A Reflection of Kenyan Urban Youth and Culture’ in International Journal of Research in Social Sciences (IJRSS)ISSN 2307-227X. April 2016. Vol. 6, No. 6. Available online at www.ijsk.org/ijrss.
- ‘Outdoor Recreation in Urban Forests’. (2011), Published by Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbruecken, Germany.
- ‘An Analysis of Road Traffic Accidents Using Geographic Information Systems (GIS): The Case of Nairobi City, Kenya’ Dr. Kovac publishers, Hamburg-Germany, 2007. The book is available on the publisher’s website: http://www.verlagdrkovac.de/3-8300-3247-1.htm as well as on Amazon.
- ‘Current practices in recording road traffic accidents in Kenya: Implications of data quality on analysis of road accidents using GIS’, Published by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Washington, DC. 2007. Available at https://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=877920
- ‘Exploring Policy Options and Strategies in Enhancing the Safety of Non-Motorized Transport Modes in African Cities: The Case of Nairobi City’ Published by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Washington, DC. 2007. Available at https://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=889639
- "Effects of the 1997/98 El-Nino Rainfall on Input Costs and Productivity of Nairobi-Based Road Freight Operators" A thesis submitted to Kenyatta University for the award of Master of Geography (Transport Studies) (2002).
- Authored Revision Geography (II) for Kenyan Secondary Schools. Worldlink Press Publishers: Nairobi. (2002)
- Environmental and Socio-Economic constraints to Sustainable Development in Upper Ewaso Ngiro Basin, Kenya. An academic project submitted to Kenyatta University (1997)
- Impact of WaterHyacinth (E. Crassipes) on the Fishing Industry in Lake Victoria - Winam Gulf, Kenya. An academic project submitted to Kenyatta University (1996)
Papers presented in Conferences/Workshops
- ‘Slogans and Mottos on Matatus: A Reflection of Kenyan Urban Youth and Culture’. By Calvine Kayi. A paper prepared for presentation at the 2nd Conference on African Urban Youth Languages (AUYL): Translingual Practices, Gestures, Media, Style. Kenyatta University, Nairobi. 11 – 13 December 2015.
- ‘Gendered perspectives in public transport sector in Kenya: the case of motorcycle use.’ By Gladys Nyachieo, Calvine Kayi & Anne Kamau. Paper presented at the IDS@50 conference, University of Nairobi, 17 – 20 November 2015.
- ‘The nature of development thinking past and present: An investigation into the poverty environmental degradation nexus in Kitui County.’ By Mary Mutiso, Calvine Kayi and Cush Lugonzo. Paper presented at the IDS@50 conference, University of Nairobi, 17 – 20 November 2015.
- "Road Traffic Accidents as a Global Pandemic: Are there strategies for safe traffic?" A Paper presented at the Deutschen Geographentag in Bayreuth on September 30, 2007
- “Walking at your Own Risk: The Pedestrian Dilemma in the City of Nairobi, Kenya” A paper presented at the University of Trier on 06.07.2006
- “Mobility Structures and Transportation in Africa” A Paper presented at Trier University on 21.06.2006
- “Transportation in Africa” A lecture delivered at the University of Trier on 16.02.2006