Dr. Newton Kahumbi Maina
- Principal Researcher in an OSSREA Funded Research Project entitled: “Women Religious Leaders as Actors in Ethnic Conflict Management and Resolution in Nakuru and Uasin-Gishu Districts, Kenya”, completed in 2004.
- PhD Research work on the topic: “The Influence of the Interpretations of Islam on Girl's Access to Secondary School Education in Mombasa and Kwale Districts, Kenya", completed 2003
- Principal Researcher in OSSREA Funded Research Project entitled: "The Impact of Islam on Women's Political Mobilization in Kenya", completed in 1999.
- Research Assistant on African Academy of Science Research: Research Priorities for the Education of Girls and Women: "The Contribution of Religious Networks to Female Education in Kenya", Coordinated by Dr. Teresia Hinga, completed in 1994.
- Research for the Master of Arts (MA) thesis entitled: “Muslim Education in Kenya with Special Reference to Madrasa System in Nairobi", completed in 1993.
Research Awards And Grants
- OSSREA 2002 (16th Social Science Research Competition) Award for the topic: “Women Religious Leaders as Actors in Ethnic Conflict Management and Resolution in Nakuru and Uasin-Gishu Districts, Kenya”
- OSSREA 1998 (10th Gender Issues Research Competition) Award for the topic: "The Impact of Islam on Women's Political Mobilization in Kenya".
- CODESRIA 1996 Ph.D. Small Grants Award for Thesis Writing for the topic: "The Influence of Interpretations of Islam on Girls' Access to Secondary School Education in Mombasa and Kwale Districts, Kenya".
Consultancies & Community Service
- Dr.Newton Kahumbi:Inooro Television,Nov 26th 2015,Talk on Interfaith Relations
- 2015 (February – April) Premarital Counseling Sessions,Deliverance Church Kasarani, Zimmerman, Nairobi
- 2014 (6th May) Guest Speaker at Kamunyaka Kiumu Secondary School,talk to Teachers, BOM & PTA members, on the topic: Partnership in Academic Success.
- 2013 & 2012: Premarital counseling Sessions, Deliverance Church Kasarani, 2012, 2013
- 2013 (February 4th – 8th): Association of Consecrated Women in Eastern and Central Africa (ACWECA), workshop on Islam (Ethiopia)
- 2009 (31st March): Guest of Honour, Prize-Giving day, Cornerstone Academy, Nairobi; topic: “Partnering to mould our children to excel in Academics”.
- 2008 (7th June): Guest Speaker: 19th Anniversary of Imam Khomein’s (r.a) Departure, Nairobi Safari Club. Topic: “Imam Khomeini (r.a) and the Palestinian Movement”.
- 2008 (February): Identifying and Monitoring cases of students who required counseling and mentoring after the re-opening of the University following the Post-election political crisis.
- 2007 (7th July): Chief Guest, Prize Giving Day, Gathirui-ini Sec. School,Topic: The Importance of Discipline in Improving Education Performance.
- 2006 (20th October): Guest Speaker at The International Quds Day, at the Kenya Arab Friendship, Society For the Kenya Muslim Youth Alliance. Topic: The Future of the Palestinian Struggle.
- 2006 (27th May): Guest Speaker at Kenyatta University, Christian Union for Kenyatta University Murang’a University Students. Topic: Life after Graduation.
- 2003 (3rd September): Guest Speaker at Gitugi Mixed Secondary School Prize Giving Day. Topic: The Role of Education in National Development, 3rd September 2003.
- External Examiner for PhD and Master of Arts Dissertations for Maseno and St. Paul’s Universities respectively
- Writing, editing and Proofreading Module Materials for the Institute of Open Learning, Kenyatta University.
- Prepared the Primary Teacher Islamic Religious Education (IRE) Syllabus for Somalia.
- The Cultural and Scientific Impact on Extremism and Radicalism
- Scientific Conference On “Radicalism, Islam And World Peace”
- A Christian understanding of Prophethood as basis of Dialogue between,Christians and Muslims
- Intolerance as an emerging threat to global peace and security: Lessons from some gleanings of Imam Khomeini (R.A)
- The Second Session of Interreligious Religious Dialogue and Globalization
- Perspective on Religious Pluralism and Tolerance between Christians and Muslims in Kenya
Affiliation to Professional Bodies
- Organization of Social Science Research in Eastern & Southern Africa (OSSREA)
- Ecumenical Association of Third World Theologians (EATWOT)
- African Association for the Study of Religion (AASR)
- Association of East Africa Study of Religions (AEASR