Department/Unit/Section: Gender and Development Studies
Contact Address: Box 43844-00100, Nairobi
Position: Lecturer and Chairperson, Department of Gender & Development Studies
Area of Specialization: Gender Issues in Religion and Culture, Gender and HIV/AIDS, Gender based Violence and the Teaching of Gender/ Women Studies in Kenya.
Download Full CV
Gender and African Culture, Gender-based Violence, Teaching Gender /Women Studies in Kenya
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Women in Religion and Culture in Africa, Module for ARE 410, ODEL Kenyatta University.
Chapters in Books
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Context and Reality of Gender-Based Violence in Kenya, Reaction to CIPEV Report. Gender Roundtable, Nairobi: 2009, ISSN No. 2073-8943.
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Maid in Nairobi in the Age of HIV/AIDS: The plight of Domestic Workers Facing AIDS in Africa- Cases from Kenya. In Women, Religion and HIV/AIDS in Africa: Responding to Ethical and Theological Challenges, edited by Hinga T.M, Kubai A.N. & Mwaura P.N. Cluster, Pieter Maritzburg 2008, ISBN No. 1875053697.
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Impact of Adventist Schooling on the Status of Women in Kenya. In Quests for Integrity in Africa, edited by Wamue G.N & Theuri M. Acton Publishers, Nairobi 2003, ISBN No. 9966-888-28-4.
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Conflicts Women Faced in the 1997 General Elections in Kenya. In Conflicts in Africa, edited by Getui M.N & Ayanga H. Faith Counseling Institute, Nairobi 2002, ISBN No.9966-9888-4-X.
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Infidelity in Marriage. In Quests for Abundant Life in Africa, edited by Getui M.N. & Theuri M. Acton Publishers, Nairobi 2002, ISBN No. 9966-888-39-X.
- Pacificah F. Okemwa, Women in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. In Theology of Reconstruction: Exploratory Essays, edited by Getui M.N. & Obeng R. Acton Publishers, Nairobi,----- ISBN No. 9966-888-01-2
- Pacificah F. Okemwa , The Effects of Clitoridectomy on the Social Well-being of Women in the Gusii Society. In Groaning in Faith: African Women in the Household of God, edited by Musimbi R.A. Kanyoro & Njoroge J.N. Acton Publishers, Nairobi, 1996 ISBN
Participation in Workshops/ Conferences
- Attended a Communication Event for the Climate Change Booklet on 4-5 July 2016. Presented a Paper Titled “Why it is Important to Employ a Gender Perspective in Climate Change Communication and Decision Making in Africa” Venue: Hennesy Park Hotel, Ebene Cybercity, Mauritius.
- Was part of a team that participated in a validation workshop of “The Kenya National Action Plan on UNSCR 1325 on 16- 17 September 2014. Venue Sentrim Elementaita Lodge, Naivasha.
- Successfully presented a project proposal on “Turning domestic work into a dignified enterprise to the European Development Days. Brussels, 26-27 November 2013.
- Participated in the development of a Documentary titled; The Invisible Worker. The plight of child domestic workers as well as both male and female adults in domestic work in five Eastern African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda and DRC) is presented. June 2013.
- Attended a workshop on Black Feminist Theory and the Study of Black Men and Boys, Mason Inn Conference Centre, Fairfax, Virginia USA 14-16 September 2012.
- Attended a workshop on Disability Mainstreaming in Development Cooperation: Theme; Safeguarding the Gains “Lessons in Mainstreaming Disability and Accessibility in Organizational Development Agenda”. Safari Park Hotel, 30-31 August 2012.
- Attended an International Conference on Gender Based Violence (GBV). Theme: Creating Safe Spaces: A Multi- Disciplinary Approach to GBV. Kenyatta University Amphitheatre 1-3rd August 2012.
- Attended a workshop on Gender Mainstreaming in Development: Theme; Gender Mainstreaming Strategies: Rationale, Concepts and Approaches. Safari Park Hotel 26-27th April 2012.
Presentation of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Kenya Military Academy’s Response to UN Security Council Resolution 1325 Serena Beach Hotel, Mombasa
- Rationale for Incorporating Gender- Based Violence in Disability Mainstreaming in Kenya. Safari Park Hotel, 30th August 2012.
- Sexual Harassment in the Work Place: Its Nature, Impact and Mitigation, a paper presented at an International Conference on Gender- Based Violence held on 1st-3rd August , 2012 at Kenyatta University Amphitheatre, Nairobi
By Pacificah Okemwa and Daniel Muia .
- Policy Development, Dissemination and Implementation in Addressing Gender Based Violence and Sexual Harassment in the Work Place: Best Practices across Organizations in Kenya, a paper presented at a Gender Mainstreaming in Development Workshop held on 26-27 April 2012 at Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi.