Dr. Newton Kahumbi Maina
Title/Qualifications: Dr, (Ph.D. Islamic Studies; MA, B.Ed. (Arts)
- 2020. “The Shirazi Civilisation and its Impact on the East African Coast” (UTAFITI Journal of African Perspectives, Brill Nv, Leiden, 2020); & December, 2019, Volume 14.2. College of Humanities University of Dar es Salaam. ISSN (p) 0856096X, ISSN (e) 2683-6408
- Challenges of teaching Islamic Studies by Non-Muslims in Kenyan Tertiary institutions, in Tangaza Journal of Theology and Mission, 2013/1. Paulines Publication Africa, pp. 54-67, ISBN 99-08-843-1
- Role of women religious leaders in managing and resolving ethnic conflicts in Kenya: the case of the Rural Women Peace Link, in CHEMCHEMI, International Journal of School of Humanities & Social Sciences, vol.5, N0 1, pp.85-104, ISBN:1563-1028
- The Interface between Religion & Culture: Constraints to Muslim Girls’ Access to Secondary School Education in Kenya, in Annual Review of Islam in South Africa (ARISA), Issue N0.9, 2006-7. Centre for Contemporary Islam, University of Cape Town, pp.46-52.
- Understanding Islamic Fundamentalism, in African Ecclesial Review (AFER), December 2001 – Vol. 43 N0. 6, pp. 279-295.
Books and Books Chapters
- “Freedom of Religion – Individual and Collective as perceived by the Kenyan State” in Freedom of Religion at Stake by Dion A. Forster, Elisabeth Gerle & Goran Gunner (eds.) Pickwick Publications, 2019, pp.65 – 87
- “A History of Christian - Muslim Relations in Kenya, 1963 – 2015” in Gordon, L. Heath & David K. Tarus (eds.) Christian Responses to Terrorism; The Kenyan Experience. Eugene, Oregon Pickwick Publications, pp. 12 -32.
- 2015. Role of Women in Ethnic Conflict Management and Resolution in Kenya, by Newton Kahumbi Maina Scholars’ Press, Omni Scriptum, GmbH & Co.KG, Germany, ISBN 978-3-639-76868-8.
- 2011. Islamic Influence on Education in Africa: Sampling Islamic influence of interpretations on girls’ access to secondary school education in Mombasa and Kwale districts, Kenya, by Newton Kahumbi Maina. Lambert Academic Publishing, ISBN: 978-3-8443-3421-0
- “Interpretation of the Qur’an and its Influence in Girls’ Access to Secondary School Education in Kenya”, in John Shiundu, et al (eds.) Contemporary Development Issues in Kenya, Vol. 1. OSSREA, Kenya Chapter, pp.79-92.
- “Christian – Muslim Dialogue in Kenya”, in Grace Wamue & M.M. Theuri (eds.) Quests for Integrity in Africa. Nairobi: Acton Publishers, pp.171-184.
- “Causes and Dimensions of Conflict from an Islamic Perspective”, in Mary N.Getui & Wasye-Musyoni (eds.) Overcoming Violence: a Faith Based Response. Nairobi: NCCK, pp. 165-179.
- “The Status of Muslim Women in Kenya”, in Mary, N.Getui & M.M.Theuri (eds.) Quests for Abundant Life in Africa. Nairobi: Acton Publishers, pp.198-216.
- “Muslim Women and Politics in Kenya”, in Mary, N. Getui & E. Obeng’ (eds.) Theology of Reconstruction: Some Exploratory Essays. Nairobi: Acton Publishers, pp.136-150.
- “The Qur’anic teaching as a paradigm of harmonious interfaith relations between Muslims and Christians in Kenya”, in Papers Presented during the International Symposium on Qur’an and Contemporary Issues (4th – 5th June, 2011), Cultural Council of the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran, pp.301-313.
- “Islamophobia among Christians and its challenge in entrenchment of Kadhi courts in Kenya”, in Constitutional Review in Kenya and Kadhi courts, edited by Abdulkader Tayob & Joseph Wandera, Centre for Contemporary Islam, University of Cape Town, pp.49-55.
- “The Historical roots of conflicts between Christians and Muslims in Kenya”, in Mvumbi, F.N (ed.) Interfaith Dialogue: Towards a Culture of Working Together. AMECEA, Catholic University of Eastern Africa pp.77-99
- “Christian-Muslim Relations in Kenya”, in Muhammad Bakari, M & S.S. Yahya (eds.) Islam in Kenya: Proceedings of the National Seminar on Contemporary Islam in Kenya, MEWA Publications, pp.116-141.
- “The Role of the Madrasa System in Muslim Education in Kenya”, in Muhammad Bakari, M. & S. S. Yahya (eds.) 1995. Islam in Kenya: Proceedings of the National Seminar on Contemporary Islam in Kenya. MEWA Publications, pp. 323-339.
- Christian-Muslim Relations in Kenya: An Examination of Issues of Conflict, in CSIC PAPERS AFRICA. Center for the Study of Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations. No.17, January, Selly Oak Colleges, Birmingham, U.K
- Digital Innovation & Maternal Health for Migrant Mothers Network: Maternal Care in Dadaab Refugee Camps 2020 – Ongoing Research Digital Innovation & Maternal Health for Migrant Mothers Network, Co-Investigator
- PhD Research work on the topic: “The Influence of the Interpretations of Islam on Girl's Access to Secondary School Education in Mombasa and Kwale Districts, Kenya", completed 2003
- Research Assistant on African Academy of Science Research: Research Priorities for the Education of Girls and Women: "The Contribution of Religious Networks to Female Education in Kenya", Coordinated by Dr. Teresia Hinga, completed in 1994.
- Research for the Master of Arts (MA) thesis entitled: “Muslim Education in Kenya with Special Reference to Madrasa System in Nairobi", completed in 1993.