Dr. Norah Bonareri Atambo
|Name: Dr. Norah Bonareri Atambo
Department/Unit/Section: Literature, Linguistics and Foreign Languages
Area of Specialization: Applied Linguistics
Research Interests: Discourse Analysis, Language and Gender, Language and Politics
Download Full CV
Atambo, N., Ogutu, E., & Kiguru, E. (2021). Language, gender and power: Lexicalisation of women in the national assembly and other top political posts in Kenya (2013-2017). Journal of Linguistics and Foreign Languages, 2(1). Retrieved from https://royalliteglobal.com/jlfl/article/view/506
- Atambo, N. B. & Chai, J. F. (2013), “Walking a Cultural Tightrope: Linguistic Strategies Employed in Adolescent Reproductive Health (ARH) Programmes in Kenyan Secondary Schools” Ruwaza Afrika , Journal of Contemporary Research in Humanities and Social Sciences (2) 1 PP 262-276
Title of Paper: Making Sense of, and Coping With the COVID-19 Pandemic in Kenya: A Linguistic Perspective
Presenters: Norah B. Atambo & Gervasio I.Miriti
Conference: Forthcoming: Second Conference organized by POCLANDE International Network, at Kenyatta University, Kenya
Date: 27th 29th October, 2021
Title of paper: An Analysis of the Intertextuality of Social Media Discourse of Chuka University Students on Whatsapp Platforms
Presenters: Gervasio I. Miriti & Norah B. Atambo
Conference: 1st Virtual Multidisciplinary Conference by Turkana University College (a constituent college of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology) Kenya
Date: Thursday, June 24th – Friday June 25th 2021
Title of Paper: Language, Ideology And Power: Women National Assembly Members As Naϊve Flower Girls Sprinkling their Femininity in the Political Scene
Presenter: Norah B. Atambo
Conference: Makerere Institute of Social Sciences (Makerere University) Graduate Students’ Conference
Date: 27th-30th July 2018
Title of paper: Walking a Cultural Tightrope: Linguistic Strategies Used in Formal Adolescent Reproductive Health Programmes in Kenyan Secondary Schools
Presenter: Norah B. Atambo
Conference: Fifth Research week and international conference, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya.
Date: October, 2010
Title of paper: Language, Gender and Power: The Discursive Construction of the Kenya National Assembly Politicians (2013 – 2017)
Presenter: Norah B. Atambo,
Seminar: Kenyatta University Post-Graduate Seminar
Date: 18th July 2019
Workshop: Global Research Ethics Africa Workshop, a project led by Edinburgh University, United Kingdom, in collaboration with UST and Victoria University, among others
Date: 28th May 2021
Workshop: Social Science Research Council’s Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa Fellowship Programme Workshop
Venue: Nigeria, Lagos.
Date: July 3rd - 7th 2017
Workshop: Social Science Research Council’s Next Generation Social Sciences in Africa fellowship programme Workshop, Venue: Kenya, Nairobi
Date: January 2018
COMMUNITY SERVICE AND OTHER ENGAGEMENTS
- December 2020 to January 2021: Constructed a house for a needy alumni lady alongside other alumni members of Nyabururu Girls High School.
- November 2020: Visited Kiaragana Children’s home and donated toiletries with other church women ministry leaders.
- November 2020-present: Kenyatta University staff mentor
- January 2020: Offset the hospital bill for a sick Nyabururu Alumni lady alongside other alumni members.
- 6th August 2020: Member of the University of Embu stakeholders’ forum, reviewing the curriculum for new courses.
- 2019: visited the sick in County Hospital in Embu with other church women ministry members.
- 2018-present: sponsoring a needy boy in Itibo Boys primary boarding school and two girls in Nyabururu Girls High School alongside other alumni members.
- May 2018: Donations of food stuffs alongside other church women ministry leaders to the needy in North Eastern Kenya
- September 2018: Contributions of money for flood victims alongside other university staff.
- July 2018: Participated in Sweeping Embu Town alongside other staff and students, of Kenyatta University Embu Campus, during the environment day.
- September 2019: Visited and donated of food and cloths to Toto Love Children’ Home – Embu with other church women ministry leaders in Embu.
- July 2017: Build a tree during the Campus Environmental day.
- September 2016 : Career guidance and counseling and gender awareness sensitisation – St. Mary’s Goretti Girls High School, Embu County Kenya.
- September 2015: Career guidance and counseling and gender awareness sensitisation – Kerugoya Girls High School, Kirinyaga County, Kenya