Dr. Purity. M. Nthiga
|Title/Qualifications: PhD, M.A. B.Ed(Arts)
Department/Unit/Section: English and Linguistics
Contact Address: P.O. Box 43844-00100, Nairobi
Position: Chairperson English and Linguistics Department, Lecturer
Area of Specialization: Applied Linguistics
Research Interests: Language teaching and learning, second language acquisition, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis, writing skills and communication.
- Conference on Exploring Communication Competence in the Industry and Academy. Presented a paper on: Job Application Letters as Communication to Potential Employers: Selling or Soiling? Venue: Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya( May 2016)
- Conference on English for effective communication: challenges and opportunities in East Africa Presented a paper on: Teaching the writing skill in English as a second Language (ESL): Insights from selected Kenyan Secondary schools. Venue: Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya (April 2015).
- 2nd Annual International Interdisciplinary Conference on Africa’s Golden Jubilee. Presented paper on: Feedback Provision in English as a Second Language (ESL) Writing: The case of Secondary Schools in Kenya, Nairobi, June 22-29 2013.
- GANAA 2012 Summer School On Multilingualism And Language Policies In Africa: (presented a paper on: Rethinking the Role of Indigenous African Languages in African Renaissance and Development in the 21st Century.”),Venue: Bondo University College, Kenya. (September 2012).
- 1st Annual International Interdisciplinary Conference on Africa’s Golden Jubilee: Assessing 50 Years of Scholarship and Development in Africa (presented a paper on “Language; a double-edged sword: dissecting the role of language in creating conflict and peace in post-independent Africa.”)Venue: Catholic University of Eastern Africa, Nairobi (June 2012).
- 2nd Linkage of Industry with Academia Conference.Venue: KICC, Nairobi (July 2011)
- SUZA-SPINE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on Teaching, Learning and Assessing in Second Language Contexts (presented paper on “second language writing pedagogy: teachers’ feedback practices in kenya secondary schools.”)Venue: Zanzibar Beach Resort (December 2010)
- International Conference on Multilingualism and Education.Venue: Kenyatta University (July 2010).
- Job Application Letters as Communication to Potential Employers: Selling or Soiling? (April, 2016)
- The Pedagogic Process of Writing in English as a Second Language in Kenyan Secondary Schools. (PhD Research, 2010).
- Patterns and Functions of Codeswitching in Pre-primary Classroom Discourse in Selected Schools of Kasarani Division Nairobi (M.A Project, 2003)
- Mukuni D.M, Ireri A.M, Nthiga P.M, Owili F.A (2016) Swearing in a Miraa Market Environment. Arts and Social Science Journal 7: 187 pp2-6.
- “African Languages in the classroom: blessing or curse?” In Mutasa. E.D & Ogutu E. A (2008) (eds) Teaching and administering in African Languages:A road map to African Renaissance Pretoria:Simba Guru Publisher.
Seminars And Workshops
- Girl’s Education and Peace: The Long Road to Gender Equality: by Dr. Ruth Kagia Senior Advisor, Social Sector/International Relations to the The Presidency, Kenya. WERK National Seminar Series 2016 (Nairobi: April 2016)
- Linking research to action and advocacy: Induction seminar for new members of the Women Educational Researchers of Kenya (WERK) (Nairobi: February 2016)
- Tone marking in Luhya dialects: Combating language endangerement through linguistic documentation by Prof Michael Marlo, Fulbright Scholar, Missouri University (February, 2016).
- Training on Quality management system (ISO, 9001-2008) and root cause analysis (Kenyatta University: November 2015).
- Leadership development and mentorship by Dr. Peter Mulinge, CEO Transitional Leader Development Inc (Kenyatta University: September 2015)
- Capacity building seminar for supervisors in participatory and action research approaches by Dr. Mathabo Khau (Kenyatta University: September 2015).
- Online teaching on the Kenyatta university E-platforms (Kenyatta University: June 2015).
- Effective handling of complaints at the work place (Kenyatta University: June 2015).
- E-learning module writing training (Kenyatta University: July 2015).
- Use of plagiarism check and reference manager software; Turnitin and Mendeley(Kenyatta University: May 2015)
- Reforms in Education in Kenya: Public Lecture delivered by the Prof. Kaimenyi, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (Kenyatta University: February, 2015)
- Training on setting, moderation and marking of university exams (Kenyatta University: 2015).
- Introduction to the InZone programmes and virtual platform (Kenyatta University: October 2014).
- Entry of marks and trouble shooting in the CampusVue system( Kenyatta University: June 2015, May 2014)
- Workshop on monitoring and Evaluation for Quality Assurance.Venue: Utalii Hotel, Nairobi (January 2012).
- Reading to learn to write by Mike Hart of University of Kwa-Zulu Natal Pietmarisburg: South Africa,Venue: Kenyatta University (June 2008)
- Cleft and palate lip: reconstruction of speech by Mathew Karia of Kenyatta University,Venue: Kenyatta University (July 2008)