Title/Qualifications: DR. (PhD)
- Ngure, K.K. (2015) From Rendille to Samburu; A Consequence of Compromised Linguistic Fidelity. Cologn: Rudiger Koppe Verlag.
b). Articles in Journals
- Ngure K.K (2016) Language Endangerment:Illustrations from Marsabit County. University of Nairobi journal of language and linguistics Vol.5 (2016), 142-160.
- Ngure, K. K and D. Karuru (2015) “Language and Identity within the Decision Theory Framework: The Case of the Rendille People of Kenya”. International Journal of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Vol. 3 No. 8.
- Chege, K., Wagacha P. W., De Pauw Guy, Muchemi L., Ng'ang'a W., Ngure K., and Mutiga J. (2010) “Developing an Open source spell checker for Gĩkũyũ”. Proceedings of the Second Workshop on African Language Technology (AfLaT 2010) published by European Language Resources Association (ELRA).
c). Forthcoming Publications
- Ngure K.K ( 2016 ). Assault From Unexpected Front: The Shift From Rendille To Samburu. Rongo University Journal of Language.
- Ngure K.K (2016) Forging Linguistic Identity with or without Language; a case of the Burji of Northern Kenya. To be published by CASAS.
- Seminar to commemorate World Mother Tongue Day held at the University of Nairobi on 23-25th February 2016. Presented a paper on “Identity Formation with or without Language: the Case of Selected Ethnic Communities From Marsabit County.
- First Regional Conference on Translation and Interpretation Studies held in the Centre for Translation and Interpretation, University of Nairobi on 18-19 February 2016. Presented a paper entitled, “ The Importance of Ethnographic Explanation as an Accompaniment to Translation of Aphorisms; Illustrations from Rendille Proverbs Translated into English”.
- International Conference on African Urban Youth language held in Kenyatta University, Kenya on 11th -13th December 2015.Presented a paper on “Entrenchment of Sheng in Church: Illustrations from a Pentecostal Church in the Eastlands of Nairobi, Kenya”.
- The 12th Nilosaharan Colloquium held at the University of Nairobi on 1st -4th September 2015.Presented a paper on “Lexical Borrowing in Samburu: Evidence of Contact between a Nilotic and a Cushitic Language.”
- University of Nairobi Departmental Seminar held on 29th July 2015. Presented a talk on the topic “When the Culture is ‘Unwell’, what happens to Language?
- Seminar to commemorate World Mother Tongue Day held at the University of Nairobi on February 2015. Presented a paper on “The Impact of Language Endangerment on Development: Illustrations from Marsabit County”
- Practising Multilingualism in (Higher) Education in Africa-GANAA Summer School, Pretoria, South Africa 23-27 September 2013.Co-presented a paper on “The Choice of the Language of Instruction in a Language Shift Situation; A Case of the Rendille Community of Northern Kenya.”
- International Conference on Multilingualism held in Kenyatta University, Kenya 22-23 July 2010.
- Presented a paper on ‘The History and Development of English’ in a workshop held in Catholic University of Eastern Africa on 12 September 2010
- Presented findings of a research on ‘the loss of prenasalisation in the Southern and Northern varieties of Gikuyu’, at the University of Nairobi’s linguistics symposium in Sept. 2005.
- A workshop on writing for publication on the theme “ Translingual practices, gesture,media style” orgainised by the African Urban Youth Language Conference Convenors on 11th December 2015 in Kenyatta University.
- A workshop on scientific paper writing organized by KDSA/DAAD on 24th -27th July 2013 in Kenyatta University.
- A training on Teaching Methodology, Setting of Examination, Administration of examination, Marking and Analyses of Scores conducted by Centre for Teaching Excellence and Evaluation, Kenyatta University on 28th May 2013.
- Language endangerment and revitalization
- Language contact
- Language and identity
- Mother tongue education
- Linguistic human rights
- Language policy and planning
- Language teaching to refugees and asylum seekers
- Bantu and Cushitic phonology & morphology
Last Updated on Monday, 18 April 2016 12:35