WRITING / EDITING EXPERIENCE
- February 2017: “The Significance, for readers in the twenty-first century, of the character of Safie in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.” A peer-reviewed article published in Littera Aperta Vol. 3. http://www.uco.es/litteraaperta/index.php/litteraaperta/issue/view/3
- May 2016: “Unsettling dust, fifty years on.” a peer-reviewed article published in the SAUT Multi-Disciplinary Journal.
- March 2016: Authored ODeL module ALT 319: Canadian Literature. Published by Kenyatta University for Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) students.
October 2015: “Brave New World – a reading of The Unbroken Spirit and The Verdict of Death.” An article published in a peer-reviewed journal. http://pyrexjournals.org/pjel/abstract/2015/october/mbithi.php
- July 2015: Authored ODeL module ALT 206: Creative Writing. Published by Kenyatta University for Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) students.
- August 2014: “Multilingualism, language policy and creative writing in Kenya.” An article published in a peer-reviewed journal by Springer. http://www.springer.com/alert/urltracking.do?id=L56e58f7M102ddd3Sa
- August 2012: Edited a World Health Organisation (WHO) report: An assessment of the capacity of research and diagnostic laboratories in Nairobi.
- July 2011: Authored ODeL module ALT 403: Modern European Literature. Published by Kenyatta University for Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) students.
- March 2011: Authored ODeL module ALT 200: East African Prose Fiction. Published by Kenyatta University for Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) students.
- November 2010: Edited ODeL module ALT 303: History and Theory of Literature. Published by Kenyatta University for Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODeL) students.
- September 2010: Authored The Aboriginal Woman’s Voice in Canadian Literature, revised Ph. D. Thesis published by Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN: 978-3-8383-6784-2.
- December 2009: “Teaching Franco-phone Literature in Translation,” a chapter in book edited by Prof. Chesaina entitled The Teaching of African Literature in the 21st Century.
- November 2009: Edited Laiserite, the school magazine of Laiser Hill Academy.
- 2005-2009: Member, Editorial Advisory Committee, Carleton University Magazine, contributing an article for each issue.
- May 2005: “My Magic Moment,” a short piece aired on the BBC Network Africa radio programme.
- March 2004: “My Street,” a short piece aired on the BBC Network Africa radio programme.
WORKSHOPS, SEMINARS AND CONFERENCE ATTENDANCE
- August 2017: 3rd EALCS (Eastern African Literary and Cultural Studies) conference at the University of Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania. Paper presented: ‘ ‘The obituary of Simiyu Barasa written by himself’: a critical reading.’
- July 2016: 17th ACLALS (Association for Commonwealth Literature and Language Studies) conference at Stellensbosch University, South Africa. Paper presented “Inclusions and Exclusions: a reading of Unbowed: One Woman’s Story.”
- December 2015: 2nd AUYL conference at KU main campus. Paper presented “How Students of literature in Kenyan universities communicate in writing.
- April 2015: Conference at Strathmore University. Theme: English for Effective Communication.
- December 2014: Conference at Pwani University. Paper presented “Language Policy and the teaching of African Literature in Kenya.” Also chaired a presentation session.
- September 2014: Workshop in Berlin, Germany. Theme: Movements. Paper presented “What did you Not say? Narrative strategies in Yvonne Owuor’s Dust.”
- August 2014: From Asmara 2000 to Nairobi 2014. An international conference hosted by the Kenyatta University Centre for African Studies: Session rapporteur.
- September 2013: East Africa @ 50 International Conference hosted by University of Nairobi, Kenya. Paper presented “Writing the Nation: post genocide Rwandan Literature.”
- June 2013: Organised and hosted a workshop at Kenyatta University as part of the on-going North-South academic exchange between the Free University of Berlin, the University of Cape Town and Kenyatta University. Theme: Transnationalism.
- November 2011: International Conference on the Teaching of French (Language, Literature and Culture) in the Multilingual Context of East Africa, held at Kenyatta University, Nairobi.
- August 2011: Workshop on Teaching Decolonisation and Postcoloniality held at the University of Cape Town, South Africa. Seminar paper presented: “Post Colonial Spaces – Brave New World.”
- July 2010: Multilingualism and Education Conference held at Kenyatta University. Paper presented: “Language Policy and Creative Writing in Kenya.”
- May 2009: Seminar paper presented at University of Nairobi: “The Significance of the character of Safie in Frankenstein for readers in the twenty-first century.
- 2013: Member, Modern Language Association (MLA).
- 2005 to the present: Member, Kenya Association of Teachers of French (KATF).
- 2005 to the present: Member, International Federation of University Women (IFUW).
Last Updated on Thursday, 19 October 2017 12:24