Dr. Raphael Kweyu
Title/Qualifications: PhD, MSc (Biogeography), B.Ed
Participation/Attendance Of Conferences/Workshops
- Speaker at the ‘Environmental Dimensions of Conflict in the Middle East and Beyond (EDCM)’ October 8, 2020 (virtual).
- Panelist at the ‘youth for the tropics’ workshop on 12th August 2020 (virtual) https://www.akademisains.gov.my/asm-focus/youth-for-the-tropics-webinar-sessions-in-celebration-of-international-youth-day/
- Non-elite environmentalism in the global context workshop in Narok, Kenya, 24 October, 2019
- East African Capacity Building Workshop on Drought Monitoring and Forecasting at UNECA in Addis Ababa-Ethiopia, 8-10 October 2019
- Annual Research Forum as part of the Leading Integrated Research for Agenda 2030 in Africa (LIRA 2030 Africa) at Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar-Senegal, 24-29 March, 2019
- Launch of RESSA project at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi-Ghana, 28-29 June, 2018
- Inception workshop for a project on Building Research Capacity for Water and Food Security in arid lands of Sub-Saharan Africa (BRECcIA) at the University of Southampton- UK, November 2017
- Pathways for Resilience in Semi-Arid Economies (PRISE) workshop at London School of Economics, London-UK, February 2015
- Qualitative research training workshop in Lillestrom, Norway, April 2014
- Laureate in the Democratic governance Institute in Dakar, Senegal, August 2013
- Experiential learning course in Nicaragua, March 2013
- Research Exchange programme at the University of Copenhagen-Denmark, September-December 2012 & April 2014
- Proposal Writing Workshop on Neglected and Underutilized Species (NUS) of Plants, in Lilongwe, Malawi, June 2012
- Society for Conservation GIS Advanced ArcGIS training from at the ESRI Eastern Africa, Nairobi, 2011
- Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCRCD), Nairobi, attained a certificate in ArcGis 1 and 2, April 2007
Presentation Of Papers at Academic and Professional Conferences
- Kweyu R & Wamalwa H, Katulu Social Innovation in Kenya, Joint Nordic Conference on Development Research at Copenhagen Business School in Copenhagen-Denmark, 27-28 June 2019
- Kweyu R & Wamalwa H, Evaluation of Livelihoods Impact of Climate Variability Adaptation Programs, International Interdisciplinary Conference at Kyambogo University in Kampala-Uganda, August 2017
- Kweyu R, Thenya T, Kiemo K, Emborg J, Micro-Geopolitics and conflict hotspots in the Rift valley, Kenya (1967-2014), Australian Political Studies Association (APSA) Annual conference at (video conferencing)
- Kweyu R, Climate governance; can devolution assist the marginalized to adapt to climate? The Economic Justice Institute of CODESRIA in Maputo-Mozambique, June 2017
- Kweyu R, Eleucine coracana Yield Estimation: Integrating Remote Sensing and Farm Management Practices in Busia-Kenya, University of Nairobi- Kenya, October 2015
- Kweyu R, Ethnicity in the forest 1967-2014, Post Graduate conference on History & Environment at the History Department in the University of Dar-es Salaam, Tanzania, August 2015
Convening and Coordinating Conferences/ Seminars
- Main speaker in a seminar on Ethnicity and Peaceful Election hosted by Nairobi University Agriculture Students Association, 26th May 2017
Research And Publications
- Simiyu, S. N., Kweyu, R. M, Antwi-Agyei, P., & Adjei, K. A. (2020). Barriers and opportunities for cleanliness of shared sanitation facilities in low-income settlements in Kenya. BMC Public Health, 20(1), 1-12.
- Antwi-Agyei P, Dwumfour-Asare, B, Adjei, K, Kweyu, R, Simiyu, S. (2020). Understanding the Barriers and Opportunities for Effective Management of Shared Sanitation in Low-Income Settlements- The case of Kumasi, Ghana, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17, 4528; doi:10.3390/ijerph17124528.
- Kweyu, R. M, Thenya, T., Kiemo, K., & Emborg, J. (2020). The nexus between land cover changes, politics and conflict in Eastern Mau forest complex, Kenya, Applied Geography, 114, 102115.
- Mugambi, J. M., Kagendo, J., Kweyu, M, & Mbuvi, M. T. E. (2020). Influence of Community Forest Association Activities on Dryland Resources Management: Case of Kibwezi Forest in Kenya. Management, 5(3), 119-128.
- Laura, A., Kweyu, R. M, & Thomas, K. (2020). The Nexus Between Community Participation In Conservation And Land Cover Change In Kakamega Forest, Kenya. Mugla Sitki Kocman University Journal of Social Sciences, 5(9).
- Ogutu FA, Kimata DM, Kweyu RM. (2020). Partnerships for sustainable cities as options for improving solid waste management in Nairobi city. Waste Management & Research. November 2020. doi:10.1177/0734242X20967735
- Ogutu, F. A., Kimata, D. M., & Kweyu, R. (2020). A critique on sustainable cities waste management predicaments; case of Nairobi City, Kenya. Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management, 24(10), 1801-1810.
- Mugambi, J. M., Kagendo, J., Kweyu, M., & Mbuvi, M. T. E. (2020). Effects of Leasehold on Community Forest Association Benefits in Dryland Resources Management: A Case Study of Kibwezi Forest in Kenya. Asian Journal of Geographical Research, 37-47.
- Kweyu, K. Kiemo, T. Thenya, J. Emborg & C. Gamborg. (2019). Spatial and Political Factors in Forest Resource Conflicts: The Eastern Mau Forest Case 1992–2014, Society & Natural Resources, 32:11, 1276-1292, DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2019.1620899
- Kweyu R. (2019). Save the Mau through peace: Integrating Mediation in forest management. Policy https://www.slu.se/globalassets/ew/org/andra-enh/uadm/global/agrifose/outputs/briefs/ilri2020/raphael-kweyu_final-policy-brief.pdf
- Kweyu, R. M. (2018). Finger Millet (Eleucine coracana) Yield Estimation: Integrating Remote Sensing and Farm Management Practices in Busia-Kenya, Africa Environmental Review Journal, 3(1), 143-152
- Ogutu F, Kimata D, Kweyu R (2018). Factors Affecting the Use of Environmental Values and Ethics in Solid Waste Management Management in Nairobi County, International Journal of Environmental and Health Sciences, 1 (1), 2018
- Ogutu F, Kimata D, Kweyu R (2018). Essence of Environmental Governance in Solid Waste Management: A Spatial Analysis of the unplanned Dumpsites in Nairobi County, African Research Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 5(2), 2018
- Ogutu, F. A., Kimata, D. & Kweyu, R. (2018). The role of institutions in SWM in Nairobi County using environmental SWM policy frameworks for sustainable waste management. International Academic Journal of Social Sciences and Education, 2(1), 158-167
- Kweyu, R. (2017). Can Devolution assist Kenyan Marginalized communities to adapt to climate? CODESRIA Bulletin No.3&4 2017
- Barthelme J, Hunt K, Ngari L, Kipintoi W, Kweyu R, and Murimi S. (2009). Renewed Survey and Excavations in the Lake Magadi Basin Southern Kenya in Nyame Akuma, Bulletin of the Society of Africanist Archaeologists No. 71 June 2009
Papers In Conference Proceedings
- Kweyu, R., Obando, J and Murimi, S. (2011). The influence of Socio-economic factors on trees outside forests in Sio River Basin, Kenya, The Lake and Catchment Research Symposium (LARS) http://www.uni-siegen.de/zew/publikationen/pdf/lars_proceedings_2011.pdf
- Kweyu, R (2011). Trees Outside the Forests (TOF); A case of Sio River Basin, Kenya, the Interactions between TOF and Landuse/ Landcover. Verlag Dr Muller, Saarbrucken. ISBN 978-3-639-33334-3
Chapter In Books
- Kweyu, R., Thenya, T., Emborg, Jens & Kagombe, J., (2018). Forest Related Conflicts: Management and Capacity Building. Forest Resources Utilization, Livelihoods and Conflicts: Synthesis of research under the "Stabilizing Kenya Through Solving Forest Related Conflicts project" (STAKE) 2012-2016. Wahome, R., Thenya, T., Vindelov, V. & Emborg, J. (eds.). Lambert Academic Publishing, p. 90-91
- Kweyu, R., Thenya, T., Emborg, Jens & Kagombe, J. (2018). Policy on conflict resolution in Kenya: Forest Related Conflicts - Management and Capacity Building. Forest Resources Utilization, Livelihoods and Conflicts: Synthesis of research under the "Stabilizing Kenya Through Solving Forest Related Conflicts project" (STAKE) 2012-2016. Wahome, R., Thenya, T., Vindelov, V. & Emborg, J. (eds.). Lambert Academic Publishing, p. 117-123
- Kagombe,J, Kweyu, R and Thenya, T (2018). Capacity building on participatory Forest management & Conflict management Courses in Wahome, R, Thenya T, Vindelov V, Emborg J. (Eds). 2018. Forest Resources Utilization, Livelihoods and Conflicts: Synthesis of research under the “Stabilizing Kenya Through Solving Forest Related Conflicts project” (STAKE) 2012-2016 , Saarbrücken, Germany: Lambert Academic publishers.